Thursday, October 16, 2014

Postmodern

Postmodern is a loaded word. What exactly is it? Webster dictionary says postmodern is: subsequent to or coming later than that which is modern. But that doesn't give a grasp on a what postmodern actually is. Postmodern can't be put into a few simple words and be completely explained, postmodernism is a concept not a adjective. Anything can be postmodern, but not everything is postmodern. It sounds like a riddle yet it is very broad simple idea and concept. Anything that is post revolutionary, taking another step off of an idea, concept, or thing. To the broadest spectrum such as the world can be seen as postmodern, and all the way to the most basic object we use everyday such as a pencil. Postmodern is not a strict definition that we all grasp, it is seen differently by everyone and is perceived differently by everyone. Postmodern is a basic, complex concept, its confusing yet simplistic. It's whatever you want it to be.



5 comments:

  1. I really think you did a good job of explaining post modernism here. Although it's hard to put it into words, I think you portrayed the fact that postmodernism isn't really a "thing" very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can everything not be postmodern. If it is all entirely subjective, isn't all of it postmodern? You are incredibly paradoxical yet you failed to use that word once, which I like, it was much more descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the different take on defining postmodernism and think you did a very good job. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that there are many definitions of what makes something postmodern, but I don't really understand what your accepted definition of postmodernism really is. I don't necessarily agree with your claim that anything that is post-revolutionary or taking a step off something in a different direction is postmodern. In that case, would a guitar with three necks be postmodern, or simply just a radical new idea? I agree that the definition is fluid, but I wish you were a little more specific. It was a good analysis of the paradoxical nature of the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your post because I completely agree with what you are saying, I spent more time trying to define postmodernism than I did writing my post about it.

    ReplyDelete