Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Shame Filled Memory

One snowy school day in fourth grade, I was enjoying recess with my friend Emma. At that time, I thought that everything that she said was true, because she had a sister in high school. Now that I am in high school, I know that is completely untrue, because I still do not know most things. We were just chitchatting about random stuff, but I remember one thing she told me about was a type of punching, called frogging, where you stick out your middle knuckle slightly and then punch a person so that it hurts more than a regular punch. The conversation moved away from that, but for some reason I still wanted to try it.

At home that night, I was playing in my room with my little sister Clare, and that conversation we had from earlier came to mind. Out of the blue, I said to Clare, “hey, can I frog you?” and probably because she was only seven at that time and we were having fun before that without any conflicts, she just said “sure.” I wound up, stuck out my middle knuckle slightly, and swung my fist hard into her back. I still am not sure what made me want to try it, but all I know was that it was not at all worth it because my fist was sore, and my loving little sister was screaming on the ground. As soon as I had done it, I knew it was a huge mistake and I was instantly filled with shame and regret. I begged her not to tell my mom, and she agreed, but I still do not know why she agreed to that, as I had just punched her as hard as I could in the back. To this day, I still feel terrible about how I treated Clare. It was an absurd and pointless thing to do, and along the way, I hurt one of the people that I love most in this world.

1 comment:

  1. That is kind of funny and sad. In the process of reading your story I tried frogging myself. I should've listen to you because now I feel a bruise forming on my arm.

    ReplyDelete