Thursday, October 23, 2014

Shame Memory

I sit at my aunts house and we talk about that one time in disneyland we all can never forget. The time I dropped my shoes into the zoo. We are sitting cross legged and laugh about the ridiculousness of the situation. We laugh and question what was going through my little 5 year old brain at the time as we eat caramel popcorn and watch the daily show.

I was about 5 and my family and my aunt went to disneyland for my birthday. They surprised me with a hotel room inside of a zoo themed hotel and our balcony overlooked a zoo. Giraffes would eat the flowers out of the flower boxes on our balcony as we cowered in nonsensical fear. Gorillas would occasionally awaken us at the crack of dawn.
      One day I was on the balcony watching the elephants after a day of disney land. I was for whatever reason dangling my sandles through the bars of the railing and decided to drop not one but both sandals. I was horrified at what I had done and even more horrified when the toucans began consuming my favorite pair of blue ecco sandals. When i eventually mustered the courage to tell my parents what they did, they were half shocked half amazed at the originality of my accident. We asked the concierge if someone could retrieve them but the said the zoo was closed ‘til day break. So my dad devised a plan to tie together phone cords to a hanger and literally fish for my sandals in a swarm of carnivorous toucans. After about an hour of poking toucans with a makeshift fishing apparatus my dad retrieved my sandals.
    

Considering these were the only pair of shoes I brought and this was only the first day of the week long trip, I was ecstatic.

5 comments:

  1. This was a good story, I like how you started it as a meta story. good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Disneyland, but I could really picture the situation. This is a funny story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is really funny. I think it's an interesting take on shame memories. A lot of times, we can look back on situations that were mortifying or bad at the time and laugh, which I would consider a good trait to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was well written. I can picture perfectly everything that happened in the story, and I think it is pretty humorous. Imagining a pack of toucans surrounding a sandal. It would probably be really fun and exciting to stay in a zoo themed hotel with live animals. I know you can laugh about it now, but it was probably pretty frustrating to see your sandals being attacked by toucans at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you chose a childhood memory as your shame memory! I'm often embarrassed about things that happened when I was really little.

    ReplyDelete