Thursday, October 23, 2014

First Impressions of the Goon Squad

I can totally see why this book is a part of our "American Literature" class ensemble. So far, I can tell that the book focuses a lot on the stereotypes in our country, specifically of the younger generations. Rhea, the narrator in "Ask Me If I Care" talks about how the hippie era is over, dead and gone. Her chapter shows us this new counterculture uprising - the punk movement. The punks wear dog collars and safety pins, dye their hair and do cocaine. They slam dance at their punk shows and throw food at the musicians if they suck.  "Ask Me If I care", as we've discussed in class, focuses a lot on physical uniform, which I agree can be an important part of American culture. In our society, people are assumed to be a certain way because of how they choose to decorate their bodies and there's no denying that.
Aside from that specific chapter, a theme I've picked up in the book is a sort of emptiness through hearing the narrators internal monologues. None of them are satisfied or fulfilled. Sasha is a thief, Bennie feels lost, nostalgic - possibly depressed, and Rhea believes nobody wants her. I'm not really sure what the rest of this book will be about but I'm willing to see.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I agree with you that this book totally makes sense for our curriculum. It also is very post modern because it reflects upon all of the individual characters perspectives and motives, which shows their individual truths.

    ReplyDelete