Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Hidden Uniforms of a 8th Grade Punk Rocker

When I was in 8th grade I dressed the way others in my grade did. Mostly jeans and T-shirts or sweaters. Or maybe even a dress, which I hated wearing but still did. All of the cloths I wore to school had color. This was the same for the rest of my class. I was blonde and blue eyed so everyone thought I was just as rich and goody-two-shows as them. But there were things that made me different then them. When I walked down the halls with my headphones in screams blared in to my ears.

When ever I tell people that I use to listen to Punk they look shocked. "You never acted like that in middle school." A girl said. The thing that would shock them more then the music was what I wore when I wasn't in school.

Not many people got to see the sight of this self made uniform. I would wear cut up black shirts with band names and safety pins, and jeans ripped to shreds. My face didn't look like my own. I covered up every middle school imperfection and my eyes were just a pit of black gunk.  I cut my own hair giving my self shaggy side bangs.

Why most didn't get to see these parts of me. Was because when I wore parts of the uniform to school  people would question them making me unable to wear them. With out being more self conscious then i already was.

This is what sparked my love for music. In the dark when there are 400 people in a room meant for 100 people, no one cares what your wearing or who you are. When I was in my room with my music blasting, I didn't care what people thought because no one was looking.



1 comment:

  1. I love this so much!
    Your writing was really captivating and I felt completely and utterly transposed by your vivid descriptions and imagery. A very compelling piece, well done.
    Truly outstanding!

    ReplyDelete