Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Meta Story

The biggest goal of my summer was to go to as many free shows as I could.  At the very end of June I was sitting in my room trying to seek out some of them and i came across that the Twin Peaks JBTV show was changed from 18+ to all ages.  JBTV on West Grand Avenue that holds shows in there recording studio and films them. All their shows are free and all you have to do to get in is RSVP.  I had never been to JBTV before and I love Twin Peaks so I jumped on the opportunity.  We got to the venue about 30 minutes early to secure our spot and sat down on the warm cement to wait.  After sitting down we all realized that we hasn't eaten anything all day and hoped the show wasn't too crazy cause we didn't have much energy.  Now that I think about it my friends and I are usually really tired before we go to a show.  It doesn't make much sense but the energy of the crowd always wakes us up.  Finally the door opened and we walked up three flights of stairs to get to the recording studio.  This is definitely the most stairs I have ever climbed to get into a  venue.   The crowd of kids filled into a small carpeted room with a stage that only went up to my knee.  It was unlike anything I had ever seen before.  I really like small venues it is more intimate and a chiller environment.  Some of my favorites are Lincoln Hall, the Beat Kitchen, and the Bottom Lounge.  We stand there waiting for the show to begin and suddenly an older man walks on stage.  Everyone was a bit confused as to what he was going to say and why he was on stage.  The man thanked us for being there and told us what JBTV was about.  They record live performances and the crowd should be as crazy as they possibly can be.  We were encouraged to crowd surf and mosh and there was little to no security.  It was very strange and I engaged in confused looks to several people around me.  All the shows i have been to I have never been encouraged to crowd surf or mosh.  It was a type of freedom I didn't fully understand.  The band came on stage and started there first song.  The crowd was crazy but I wasn't surprised, that's how Twin Peaks crowds are, crazy.  People were jumping and pushing and singing as the cameras scanned over us.  It was a incredible experience.  The show ended and the same older man came on stage to thank us for coming and asked us to come back.  He told us that we were the craziest crowd to ever be at JBTV and as I looked around every kid was truly proud  to have that title.  Looking back at that show it makes me realize it was probably the best “crowd show” I have ever been to.  The musicianship was fine nothing spectacular but the crowd is what made the show.  It was a lot of fun and I hope to go to a show at JBTV again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great story. The audience is what makes the concert unique and different. I haven't gone to a lot of concerts but from the ones that I attended, the bands were awesome to listen too but the experience of being crowded around a bunch of strangers is something different. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete