Thursday, October 2, 2014

Beard-Bashers: A Prisoner's Denial

This week, I read an op-ed on the Los Angeles Times’ website concerning an imprisoned man in Arkansas by the name of Gregory Holt. This man, hoping to keep in accordance with the traditions and practices of Islam, wanted to grow his beard to be half an inch long. The current beard-growing limit in Arkansas prisons is a quarter of an inch long, and the author of this op-ed believes that his request is simple and should be allowed. The author, Michael A. Helfand, argues that the prison officials have not tried to make any sort of compromises with this man, such as daily beard inspections by the guards. Helfand also argues that the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act requires that the government explains why there are no other available options before “it substantially burdens an inmate’s religious practices”(Helfand, "Is a Prisoner’s Beard Dangerous?").

Personally, I would have to disagree with Helfand’s response to Holt’s demands. The prison officials made the point that Holt’s beard could hide something dangerous such as an SD card or a razor blade. Just because Holt wants to keep in line with his religious values doesn’t mean that it becomes the prison’s problem. Wanting a Kosher or vegetarian meal is one thing, but demanding that one’s beard should be grown to twice the allowed length seems unreasonable. This compromise suggested by Helfand also creates extra work for the guards, who would have to search Holt’s beard daily to make sure he isn’t hiding anything dangerous.

Another important factor in this case is the fact that Holt is a prisoner. Like I said before, I think that wanting a different meal plan on the grounds of a religious requirement is reasonable, because it does not impose the same extra guard work or safety hazard that the beard causes. Eating is also a necessity, and if a person is being forced to eat things that they find unholy or morally wrong, such as meat, then I feel that that is an infringement on personal rights. However, a beard is not a necessity. Prison is not a resort, and to get in one has to break the law in an inexcusable fashion. To me, Holt growing his beard to half an inch seems like a luxury that is both unnecessary and unsafe, and being a prisoner I don’t believe that Holt has the right to demand such an unreasonable request.

I am not at all against people who wish to practice Islam. I just believe that a demand such as Holt's is somewhat ridiculous. For example, if I claimed that it was my religious duty to light a candle each night in my cell and I demanded matches or a lighter to make this possible, would the prison really let me do it? To deny me access to potentially dangerous materials is not an infringement on my rights. The prison officials have a duty to keep the prison a safe environment for both the prisoners and guards. By refusing to let Holt grow his beard longer, they are only doing their job.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the prison guards are in the right by prohibiting Holt from growing his beard out because their first duty is to ensure the safety of themselves and the other prisoners. Nice Article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly a unique situation. I understand the disadvantages for allowing this man to grow out his beard. Yet, simultaneously, I can also sympathize with his desire to practice his religion freely. It seems as if growing out a beard an extra quarter of an inch is a rather insignificant request, but in a prison there is no room for error from the staff. Ultimately, this is a fascinating case and I cannot wait to see the verdict.

    ReplyDelete