Monday, November 21, 2016

This is Not a Blog Post

I think postmodernism is an interesting way to go about art. It can be a very deep, thought provoking, expressive, and even beautiful art form, that is if you aren't me. I can appreciate the amount of work it takes to come up with something and express it in a piece of artwork, but I feel that i'm not good enough at analyzing art to truly appreciate it. Too much of the meaning flies over my head, but that itself if one of the beauties of postmodern art. You don't need to comprehend what the artist was saying, or even understand it at all for that matter. The fact that most of the pieces can tell something at all, whilst also managing to look good is the true strength of the art form.

Well, because most of the intricate meanings of postmodern art elude me, I went searching for something with a meaning I could understand, while also being simpler than most of the other postmodern works I have seen. I came across this sculpture by two guys, Dan Single and George Gorrow, from Sydney Australia made. Dan was a graffiti artist and George was a poet; the two teamed up and formed a fashion company named Ksubi. The sculpture was documented in a book they made called "Sign of the Times," which is what I will be referring to the sculpture as from now on. Here it is: 


This sculpture is of a man's hand holding up a peace sign, or at least attempting to. Much to the hand's dismay his middle and pointer have been cut off. This has quite the profound meaning. The hand is either trying to offer peace and it has been rejected by someone else, or whoever is offering the peace isn't really looking for peace. I'd guess the latter, due to the face that the man's hand is coming out of some kind of suit and undershirt, eluding to some kind of importance or high class. I believe that this sculpture is about corporate deception, or something even higher like government deception.

Overall postmodern art is kind of confusing and enigmatic to me, but the best part of it is how even if the intended meaning is greater than me, I can still try to appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment