Friday, February 3, 2017

Colbert's Brilliant Response to Mrs. Trump's Alleged Plagiarism

This past July, Melania Trump was largely denunciated for plagiarizing parts of her speech at last year’s Republican National Convention straight from one of Michelle Obama’s from 2008. Never one to miss an opportunity to poke fun at a politically charged situation, Stephen Colbert and his team of writers wasted no time putting together a skit to perform on his show the night after this controversy took place.


Played by a strikingly similar looking actress, Stephen gave 'Melania' a chance to publicly defend herself against the allegations of plagiarism she had received. Tony Award-winning actress Laura Benanti perfectly captured Melania’s squinted eyes and perpetual pouty expression, even throwing in a few expertly executed model turns. Wearing her hair and outfit in a way that was made to mimic what Trump wore on stage in Cleveland that summer, Benanti began,


“My fellow Americans, this is truly the best of times, it is the worst of times. I did not plagiarize my speech last night, I would never do such a thing. I would not, could not with a goat. I would not, could not on a boat. That is because I learned honesty during my humble upbringing, in West Philadelphia born and raised. Thank you. On the playground is where I spent most of my days. So to those who say I stole my speech, I say give me a break. Give me a break. Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar.”


Stealing from everyone from Charles Dickens to “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” to a Kit Kat commercial, in making her point, her denial of any plagiarism consists only of long strings of plagiarized phrases.


No comments:

Post a Comment