Thursday, March 26, 2015

"Wake Me Up"

Ed Sheeran is an English born singer who has really blown up in the past year or so. But, before making it big, he did had a couple EP's and an album. His first album is filled with soft ballads, just tugging at the heart strings. In his album +, Ed Sheeran manages to display the ups and downs in any relationship beautifully.  This song is called "Wake Me Up"

The song starts off
I should ink my skin with your name
And take my passport out again
And just replace it
See I could do without a tan
On my left hand,
Where my fourth finger meets my knuckle
And I should run you a hot bath
And fill it up with bubbles
Throughout this first part, he is just setting the scene for us. It is clear that he loves whoever he is writing about. He doesn't need marriage, all he needs is this one person, and he loves this one person so much he is willing to have their name on his body forever.
 
 
As the song continues, we get more instances of these quirky things that he loves about someone. And he is able to let this be known by the words he says. He begins each new verse with a weird thing, but by the end he ties it back to how important this person is to him.
 
And now I've always been shit at computer games
And your brother always beats me
And if I lost, I'd go across and chuck all the controllers at the TV
And then you'd laugh at me
And be asking me
If I'm gonna be home next week
And then you'd lie with me til I fall asleep
And flutter your eyelash on my cheek between the sheets
 
Even in this verse, by saying and at every line break, we get how strong he feels, and how everything that happens is important to him. It just keeps going and at every line break it is like we are hitting a wall of beautiful.

 
This song is poetry to me because poetry doesn't always say things in the clearest ways, and this song doesn't either. Ed Sheeran disguises everything he says with weird habits his lover has, and we understand that these tendencies mean so much to him.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment