Thursday, March 26, 2015

Wooden Heart

The song Wooden Heart by Listener (lyrics here) contains poetry, as the band is a spoken word rock band. This song in particular strikes me and contains some powerful lyrics. 

In Wooden Heart, the lyricist is comparing his body to a ship: "But this fear is a prison that I keep locked below the main deck" and "So I've carved a wooden heart / Put it in this sinking ship hoping it'd help me float for just a few more weeks", which is of course, poetic writing - sort of like an extended simile or metaphor throughout the song. 

 The next lyrics that caught me were "But they hold this ship together tossed like leaves in this weather / My dreams are sails that I point towards my true north / Stretched thin over my rib bones and pray that it gets better". These lyrics allow me to visualize a ship in a rough storm being pummeled and rocked by the waves, and I can then imagine how somebody could compare their body to this phenomena. Through emotional hardship and journey, I can completely understand and sympathize with the lyricist; Which I believe is a part of poetry - being able to better understand and feel the experiences and emotions of the writer. A metaphor is also used here, the author saying, "my dreams are sails that point towards my true north". 

/other lyrics that exemplify poetic language are "This war ship is sinking and I still believe in anchors / Pulling fistfuls of rotten wood from my heart, oh I still believe in saviors".  Here, anchors and saviors don't rhyme, but slightly mimic each others sounds. Again, the lyricist is using the ship as a metaphor for himself and his body. Pulling wood from his wooden heart could be seen as personification as well. 

Overall, this entire song is poetry in ways that are hard to explain. I believe poetry is a very personal things, and poetry can be seen in anything - differing from person to person. You know poetry when you read it from the way it sounds, the way it feels, the way it rolls through your mind. 





No comments:

Post a Comment