Thursday, March 26, 2015

Good for Great

Good for Great is song by an upcoming rapper named G-Eazy.  He raps about many different topics, in this song he raps about the educational system we have in out society.  I believe it to be poetry because of the meaning behind the song.  It is more than just rhyming to beat, he is rapping about the corrupt educational system. In the song he says,
 
Refuse to let college stand in the way of education
Word. Teachers say that's just my point of view
But I'll still be in debt when I'm 32
So wait, You mean to tell me that if I stay in school
I could maybe grow up to be just like you
 
He is identify a problem that we have in our society. College is extremly expensive and often results in not being able to find a job that was worth that thousands of dollars put forth towards getting that education. Also the fact that student loans are too high, he says, "But I'll be in debt when I'm 32." That also identifies a problem we have.  Student loans are outrageously expensive and are hard for lots of kids to pay off.   There is irony in the first line where he says that he won't let college stand in the way of education.  College is supposed to further your education and he says that he won't let it stop his education.  Showing how he feels towards college in our society. He uses sarcasim in the final line, he says maybe I can grow up to be like you.  He doesn't want to grow up like that and his tone suggests that he is being sarcastic, he would like nothing less than to grow up like that.  He wants to be his own person with his own goals and achievenments. He later says,
 
I'm talkin' 'bout the pressure that society applies
Go to school, get a job, then retire, then he dies
I'd rather live fast than be entirely surprised
 
He is identifying the stereotypical good student.  He identifys four stages of life, and he completely disagrees with it.  He doesn't want to live that life. He wants to go on his own adventures and experience life first hand, based off himself, not what people tell him he should do. The last two lines is a metaphore, He is comparing two lifestyles.  He believes that he would rather live in the moment, fast, than how society tells him too.  He disagrees with stereotypes and lives his own life . When he talks about the pressure society applies, it really connects with me.  As a highschool student, expectations are very high and sometimes it makes me want to just live in the moment and care only about my goals and dreams and not what life has prepared me for. G-eazy has several songs about school as well as other topics.  His lyrics aren't too vulgar and I encourage most people to give his music a try.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment