Thursday, March 26, 2015

Greek Tragedy// The Wombats

As a tribute to thankfully getting Lollapalooza tickets, I chose a song by a band (who will be playing at Lolla) that is not really well known, but I'm sure some of you know who they are. The song they play, that I believe is poetry, is called "Greek Tragedy". Collins Dictionary defines a Greek Tragedy as: a play in which the protagonist, usually a man of importance and outstanding personal qualities, falls to disaster through the combination of a personal failing and circumstances with which he cannot deal. This is exactly the message the song portrays. A guy is stuck with some crazy girl, trying to get it all figured out thinking leaving her is a bad idea, but then again staying with her is too.

In the song the man going through a 'Penrose step' relationship is having trouble being decisive in what he wants from his significant other; Right off the bat, this is who the author is speaking to.

Cars are flipping, I'm in hot pursuit
My character's strong, but my head is loose

He's comparing their love to what reminds me of one of those action movies, as a character walks confidently in front of exploding cars. Their love is chaotic, messed up, and so unbelievably tangled that he wants to be able to sort out the issues, but it may take military units to get things done.

Oh and she hits like ecstasy
Comes up and bangs the sense out of me
It's wrong, but surely worst to leave
And she hits like ecstasy

Now he is making a more direct simile. NOT from my extensive knowledge of drugs, but what I can assume from his comparison is that it takes some time for the girl to kick in, but once she does it gets trippy. He finds himself senseless and clueless all from what she does to him. He knows it wrong to be with her (and also take ecstasy) but it would be a bigger pain to quit it rather than try to enjoy her company.

I really suggest listening to the song it's really great, but I may say stray away from the music video... Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment