Sunday, January 11, 2015

Inventing a Response: Anti-Heavy Boots Glasses

The glasses look like ordinary reading glasses but, they serve a much greater purpose for Oskar. At the press of a button, images of constellations overlay what he sees before him but, looking at him, you can't tell. Another press of the button would display other various images such as his father, his inventions and the "Things That Happened to Me".  Another button would play his tambourine into his ear and if you click it again it switches to the French radio station he listened to occasionally. Press it another time to hear Grandma saying, "Oskar?" and "I'm OK." and Dad telling him stories.

These glasses would be very helpful for Oskar as he comes of age because as he grows up he will be introduced to new and uncomfortable situations that are sure to give him heavy boots. The simple idea of the glasses is to relieve Oskar of his stress and scattered-braindedness in order to help him heal mentally and become more comfortable in social situations. He displays a need for this product throughout the book, for example, when his mind goes off the rails at night, "I woke up once in the middle of the night, and Buckminster's paws were on my eyelids. He must have been feeling my nightmares," (p.74) and as he goes to new places he plays his tambourine, "because it helped me remember that even though I was going through different neighborhoods, I was still me," (p. 88).

No comments:

Post a Comment