Sunday, September 28, 2014

Is wrestling gay? Does it make You Less Masculine than a straight man? op-ed

I’ve come across so many people who look at wrestling as a "gay sport", and how they argue that all wrestlers are gay. Being a straight male, and a wrestler, this doesn't bother me, but what bothers me is that some people see wrestling only as a sport to give guy an excuse to touch each other. It bothers me when people don't see how hard wrestlers work.

Being a wrestler means you have to be more dedicated, more disciplined, and more athletic than anyone else in any other sport. A wrestler’s main goal during a match is to outwork your opponent, and win your match. Not to see how much your hands can grab. If wrestling is a gay sport, then I could argue that football, baseball, swimming, boxing, cross country etc. is a gay sport. Why do football players always slap each other’s butts, why do swimmers wear tights, why do boxers fight shirtless? Because they are all gay? No because they want to be a successful athlete. What really confuses me is that a lot of people argue that homosexuals are super feminine, but we have the same people calling wrestling a "gay sport". The only thing that makes a person a gay is if he or she has a sexual or romantic desire for someone of the same sex. Not in which sport they play.
Even if a wrestler is in fact gay, it doesn't make him any less of a man than a straight wrestler. Also a gay wrestler wouldn't disrespect the sport, by using it in way to get his hands on another man. Most famous for being gay and a wrestler, Darren Young. He was a high school state champion, NCAA All American and currently a WWE Professional wrestler. He recently came out to his fans, and this goes to show that a gay man, can be just a masculine as straight man.  
If people see me as a homosexual because I want to become a successful athlete, then fine by me. 

Darren Young

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this article because without overwhelming us with statistics, you gave straightforward evidence, lead by a great opinion. I agree with your opinion 100% because a "sport" can not be gay, that is just illogical and on top of that, I think people should take the time out of their day to think about the work it takes to be a professional wrestler other than any other sport. It is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you took two opinions and used them to contradict each other. You started by introducing the stereotype that homosexual males are feminine, but contradicted it with the stereotype that masculine wrestlers are homosexual. This set you up for a very strong and compelling argument. I enjoyed your blog post.

    ReplyDelete