Thursday, September 25, 2014

America and War are the Same Thing (or at least OPRF thinks so.)



Spirit week is a event that happens every year right before Homecoming. Student council thinks of ideas for days, then all the students are encouraged to dress up for that day. This year there was an America day. Which is an average dress up day, people wear red, white. and blue so they can display their patriotism. Yet, this year it wasn't just America day it was America/Camouflage day.

I am never that interested in spirit week, but this day caught my eye. I can understand dressing up to support your country, but the student council and the school have made this a parallel to America and dressing up in Camouflage which is often associated with soldiers. Are American and war seen as the same thing?

If this is true, we live in a violent corrupted country. If I learned anything from The Things We Carried is that war is everything. But Schools shouldn't be supporting idea that America is the same thing as war.

OPRF is always talking about how we want to be violent free. Yet, we are promoting a violent America. 

3 comments:

  1. I can see where your argument is coming from but I see the dress up day in a very different way. America day was to show patriotism and support for our nation. Wearing red, white and blue is very clearly America. Wearing camo is showing support for another aspect of America. I'm not even a supporter of war, but I respect and appreciate the dedication and hard work of American soldiers. Of course, camo is worn by soldiers of all nations, but I think it's pretty clear who you're supporting as an American student. But I understand how it could be taken as offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i did not notice it until now, but i guess there is a big association among the students. although i don't think many of them realize it, they are just sort-of dressing to match the majority i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you are saying in this post, but respectfully disagree. Camouflage isn't only a part of war, but a part of hunting and fashion. I think it is a jump to say that all camo is associated to war and anyone who wears camo is a supporter of war. While camo is a common pattern associated with war, it certainly doesn't make someone violent.

    ReplyDelete