Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Extra Curricular Activities for High School Students

High School is an important time in young people's lives. It's a time of experiencing and evaluating who you are and what you want to be. It doesn't get any easier after these four years, which is why it's vital to make a path for yourself for the future.

I believe extra curricular activities such as clubs and sports for high school students is the most significant thing and is the biggest contributor to their mindset and success.
In my opinion, OPRF is one of the better examples of how much sports and clubs matter to the teachers and kids. At this school, you are strongly encouraged to get involved and be apart of something bigger than yourself. It not only teaches you life lessons and keeps you busy, but the experience of high school is that much better with playing a sport or joining a club.

I am apart of Best Buddies, JKB Leadership Group, Football and Basketball at OPRF and not a moment has gone by where I regret it. The good times I've had and the friends I've made will last a lifetime and I think every student needs to take advantage of this opportunity. Grades and academics come first in school and getting you into college, however, I believe doing extra like being on a team or club can help in doing the right thing in the classroom.

For me, sports have taught me how to be disciplined and always be positive on the field or in class. Some of my favorite words to live by came to me from my football coach. He preaches to us Grit, Zeal, and Optimism. Always be gritty. Live life zealously. Always be optimistic. My basketball coach also tells us that the little things mean everything. Whether this is in school or in a game, it's very true how big the small details are. Success can come by being involved in the camaraderie and positivity of school activities. More than anything, it gives you a mindset to be hungry for success and it keeps you out of trouble. I have been impacted tremendously by sports and clubs so far at OPRF. They have given me a certain work ethic as well as giving me a drive to go out and represent the community in a good way. I strongly encourage every one of my fellow classmates and younger ones of the community to do the same.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this! I'm also part of a bunch of sports and clubs, and I'm so happy with them all. I have friends who haven't joined anything, and I always tell them to, especially since OPRF offers so much. I also like how in the last paragraph you wrote about specific things your coaches preach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that extra curricular activities can be the most beneficial part of the high school experience. It can teach people qualities important to succeed even after schooling, such as leadership and teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extra curricular activities are definitely important for students. I think that a person who can balance their activities and school well is a person who will succeed later in life as well. Learning to balance schedules is a very important part of life. I like the short statements you put in the middle of the last paragraph, it demonstrated how you benefit from sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! Extra curricular activities impact students in such positive ways.

    ReplyDelete