Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Pledge Allegiance? Two Questions.

Recently it has come to my attention that even though we still say the pledge at the beginning of the school day, no one stands. I would like to know why that is. Sure it's easy to ask myself well why don't you do it? Why don't you stand up and recite the pledge? I don't know if it's laziness that I don't stand to recite the words that I was taught to memorize since the first grade. Or maybe it's as simple as I don't want to be the only one standing.

I'd like to hear the opinions of others because I don't know how we as a class went from thinking saying the pledge daily was mandatory to sitting and talking over it as high schoolers. I understand that there are lines that people may not agree with in the pledge that makes them believe they do not have to recite it, which is perfectly fine. But why do the others who have no problem not stand?

"One nation under God" 
Since the Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy in 1892 it has been modified a total of 4 times. I think about this line a little differently. Since I don't know who believes in a God or several Gods or maybe no God at all, how could we possibly have an alternative in these days of change? Instead of changing the whole pledge why not just change one word? No matter what religion you believe in, or don't believe in, everyone in the world benefits from a good. Why can't the word God in the pledge be changed to good?

I very curious to see what people have to say about this because I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I believe it is a form of brainwashing considering that you are taught and even forced to recite a blindly patriotic pledge before you even understand what that pledge means. I am still not sure I fully understand what it means, or if I support it in its current or any of its past forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't stand because I don't want to pledge allegiance to any flag, or country, or town, or government. I will pledge my allegiance to equality, to humanity, to life, to myself, but not to any nation. Because no nation, with all of their long, complex, multi-faceted histories can truly claim to stand under God, or good, and none of them can claim to fully stand for liberty or justice for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm with you here on this one, Emily. I do understand people not standing up--if you don't like your country enough to pledge allegiance to it, great. Don't stand. What I don't get personally is why I myself was ridiculed--even bullied--for standing and saying the pledge during freshman year. Questioned for why I could ever support a country so monstrous, how I could be so mindless and one=sided. I'm not sure how this was all defined by me standing up and placing a hand over my heart... But I do wonder about the alarming amount of cynicism I see. It's a good question to ask, and it's one I'll ask with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nick one hundred percent. I do not stand because I do not agree with everything this country has done. I also do not want to be brain washed into thinking that America is the best, and I only serve America, when I do not.

    ReplyDelete