Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New Healthy Lunches

As most students know, OPRF has switched to a new lunch food system this year. In accordance with Michelle Obama's health food initiative, all of the food we had last year has been changed. We are now faced with no candy and with whole grain versions of the food we enjoyed last year. Instead of changing the food so that there is less pizza and less rib sandwiches, the buns and bread just taste much worse. However, the cafeteria still features items such as bagels and cream cheese, and diet sodas have even been added to the menu.

I do understand where these new policies are coming from. In lunch last year, it was possible to buy candy and very greasy cookies. While delicious, it is obvious that these foods are not the best for students' health. Even though it has been beneficial, I think that they could have put more thought into a new school lunch menu. If our school is forced into a healthy program, maybe we should go all out and design an actually healthy menu instead of getting diet sodas and whole grain chips. Also, why is sushi off the menu?

8 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree with you. I think the switch to healthier foods is overall a good thing, but I don't understand some of the changes. It seems like OPRF got rid of a lot of things without fully replacing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I am very confused about the infusion of the diet soda this year. There is much more soda in the school cafeteria than last year, and even though it is diet, it is still not the healthiest option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Taking away junk food and replacing it with the slightly healthier version of it is not making a large enough change, making it not worth all the unrest with the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I think making the food healthier is a good idea, but as we all know the quality of the food really is not top notch. It seems like the food is getting healthier, but less appetizing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think lunches should be healthier but this while grain stuff and diet soda still aren't the best they could be. there are lots of tastier and healthier options out there. I also think that they should have some sweet stuff for kids to choose with their lunch, but their is hardly anything of that nature. just lots and lots of empty carbohydrates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I agree that it makes sense to make the lunches healthier. The change in lunch food also confuses me because the school is not fully committed sell healthy food. After school a student can buy all kinds of the unhealthy snacks that were available last year. It just doesn't make sense to sell it after school if the whole point of not selling the food during lunch is so that kids eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole change was bizarre and i really liked how there was a choice of pizza from several restaurants every day. The new options are fine but I feel like they are going half way with it.
    The menu now is dull and the choices are very minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree as well. But I think theres a hole in this "healthy food" idea. They didnt solve the problem, they just moved it. We can still go get lunch at Tasty Dog or Five Guys, so I think either way, taking away the food from last year, was a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete