Monday, December 7, 2015

The Good Left Undone- An analysis

"The Good Left Undone" by Chicagoan band Rise Against is a gold mine of imagery, multidimensional language, and metaphors. Before I go into detail, take a listen to the song here:

I think my favorite lyric from this song goes as this: "So I tell myself, tell myself, it's wrong.
There's a point we pass from which we can't return.
I felt the cold rain of the coming storm." Rise Against is a band known for it's advocacy of being eco-friendly and trying to stop us from destroying the only world we have. This is evidenced perfectly in these lines because they're saying that we don't have forever to save the planet from the destruction we're forcing upon it and if we don't stop soon it could be the end. Imagery also runs rampant in this song. There's so much that it's hard to pick just one example of this, but I decided on the following lines:
"In fields where nothing grew but weeds,
I found a flower at my feet,
bending there in my direction.
I wrapped a hand around its stem,
pulled until the roots gave in,
finding there what I've been missing."
Whenever I hear this line, I can't help but imagine the desolate fields and the distressing image of only a small sign of hope being found in  it. To me, at least, this piece of music can easily be described as poetry because of the large amount of imagery found in it as well as the real topics and meaning behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment