Thursday, September 18, 2014

Op-Ed Persuit of Happiness


Religious traditions can have a positive outlook on one’s life. For example, in the Catholic 
Church one of the “coming of age” events is Confirmation, where young people are finally 
recognized as adults in the church community. But not all traditions are positive. For example,  religious zealots refuse to recognize the acceptance of gay marriage by the state. They use tradition as an argument against gay marriage. I feel this tradition should not be followed. It is very unfair to discriminate against the entire LGBT community by denying them their right to marry. Marriage could be the gateway to happiness for many future couples. 

Many countries such as the Netherlands, Canada, Spain, England, and Belgium have already accepted same sex marriage as well as 19 out of 50 states in the U.S. have accepted it too. Have there been any negative results from these marriages? Everyone should have the opportunity to marry. A legal contract that is available for one pair of people should be available for another pair of people.

I want to look at the essential unfairness of allowing only heterosexuals to marry. It is not fair that heterosexuality is prefered or is considered to be "normal”. The reality of someone being treated differently is wrong.

I am a child who is growing up with a same sex couple as parents and everything to me seems to be completely normal compared with heterosexual couples. Ever since I was a little kid my parents always hid the official title of “lesbian” or “gay” from me because they thought that I would be ashamed or embarrassed of them. I was extremely confused at the time. My mothers would always say that they were just really good friends or partners. That’s why I thought it was normal to have two mothers instead of having the traditional mother and father. Eventually, I was old enough to look at my life and realize that they were gay. I didn’t even mind. I also noticed another strange thing; I have never seen either of my mothers show any signs of affection besides hugging, or kissing each other on the cheek.

When I first found out that gay marriage was legal in Illinois I asked them if they would ever get married. They simply said, “Why should we get married? We’ve been together for so long. How would getting married change anything?” Even though my parents don't want to get married if they wanted to go forward and get married I think they should have that they should have that opportunity. Luckily Illinois passed a law allowing same sex marriage last year.

In the United States people are supposed treated equally under the law. The Constitution states, “ We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable; that men are created equal and independent, that from the equal creation they derive rights inherent and inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” The law is supposed to eliminate bias. For many people marriage is part of their pursuit of happiness. They should not be denied this opportunity because of their sexual orientation.



No comments:

Post a Comment