Thursday, October 22, 2015

Unconditional love is not earned, but given and should be treated with gratitude

Today, I feel like a lot of teens and kids in general don't appreciate their parents as much as they deserve or maybe they don't appreciate them at all. Parents so much for their kids, and the sad thing is, they don't even realize it. Sadly, as a teenage boy, I fall guilty to this a lot and a lot more than I should.

As a son to a father who is made the exact same way as I am, we have a very special relationship. When people joke about wanting a someone who finishes their sentences because they know each other so well, that is me and my dad. I know what he is going to say before he even says it. I know what he is trying to say when he can't find the right words for his thoughts. There have been several times where me, my mom and dad are talking and my dad tries to explain something to my mom, but he words it in an unclear fashion (not intentionally), and after sever times of trying to reword his thoughts and failing, I say, "Mom hes trying to say Blank." He then proceeds to say thank you, joking, as if he were also getting frustrated with himself. The point is, I know my dad very well and he knows me just as well. We are the same person, just 30 some odd years apart.

Now you think for someone who knows the in and outs of someone would appreciate everything they did, wrong. I don't always see the awesome things my parents do for me. My parents do amazing things for me every day and i rarely see it, simply because it seems normal to me. That is their job. That is what they signed up for when they had kids. They are suppose to love me unconditionally.

But as if grown older, I see it more and more. How much I should be grateful towards my parents. For even in the smallest things, they always have my best interest in mind. They may love me unconditionally, no matter what I do, but that doesn't mean I always deserve it or it should be like that no matter what I do. But, that's the amazing thing about unconditional love. Even when we don't deserve it or we are at our worst, that love is still there.

So, take a minute to think about everything your parents (or who ever raised you) have done for you. It may be a little or it may be a lot, but it's time as young adults, that we start to appreciate every little thing our parents have done for us, especially the day to day little things, that they do just... to make you smile.

2 comments:

  1. This was very touching to read but due to me not having a father I wouldn't know that feeling. As the years have gone by, with my sister at college, my mother and I have grown closer and it is great. I also believe you are correct with your first statement, more kids should appreciate their parents more because they do so much for us. great passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete