Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The New Era of Art

Postmodernism surfaced in the late 20th century as criticism to alternative literature, art, and other elements of culture. The meticulous craft of postmodernist art reflects changes in society and the perception of such societal ideals. In these ways, postmodernism sparked a new, progressive art movement (which still continues today) that allowed artists to use new artistic techniques and challenge traditional principles.

A well-known 'pop art' movement artist, Andy Warhol, reveals postmodernist beliefs in his image, the "Marilyn Diptych." Warhol created this picture in response to Marilyn Monroe's death in 1967.

Andy Warhol, Marilyn Diptych, 1962, acrylic on canvas, 2054x 1448 mm (Tate) © The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Inc. 2015

In the image, there are several postmodernist features. On the exterior, it seems as though Warhol purely has Monroe descending in color for artistic effect, not for any underlying meaning. On one side of the picture, Monroe's iconic photographs shines in color. On the other side, the Monroes are blurry and are in black and white. Through this technique, Warhol conveys the difference between life (with color and 'excitement') and death (without color and gloomy).

Additionally, Warhol appears to display his viewpoint of American culture. Monroe's face is printed 50 times, demonstrating how widely-known she was and her appearance in the media. The repetition of her face expresses how America is absorb in the media and obsessed the power of a media image. Moreover, the repetition also conveys how America begins to increasingly depend on mass production of products (and its profits, implying that the culture is greed-driven).

Furthermore, the diptych the picture Monroe is illustrated on (take note of the brown line down the center of the photographs) provides for another example. In the Renaissance Era, Christians often used a diptych (described as hinges that attached two flat plates together) for altarpieces in churches. This fusion of methods displays how Warhol thought Americans worshiped the media and the image of celebrities excessively.

Using these newer approaches to artistic creation may be shown in an unseen way through the idea of postmodernism. The almost invisible view postmodernism may contain expresses how thinking one concept will not only be one idea, but may be perceived in a multitude of other ways.

8 comments:

  1. Great post Katie. good job on relating the picture to Postmodernism, I honestly would have never seen it like that. my opinion would have been that over time she became less known due to more modern celebs but you got me on that one. Great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this picture many times but I've never thought as in depth about it as you. The use of the colors to represent life and death and the composition symbolizing Marilyn Monroe's image are simple and effective. I think I might look at Warhol's other works with this ideal in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was scrolling through, the picture of Marilyn Monroe caught my eye. The bright colors on the left with the darker less vibrant picture on the right makes the picture pop. Great job analyzing each little piece of the artwork. Your analysis of the brown line down the center was an amazing connection between history and society today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really liked your connection between Warhol's brown line and Christianity. It's crazy how artists can connect two things that are seemingly so far apart. Whenever I hear stuff like this I always kind of wonder if it's just random chance. I think in this case it definitely makes sense, but when someone starts telling me that just because the main character was wearing red means that the author is secretly homophobic I start to get a bit suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really liked your connection between Warhol's brown line and Christianity. It's crazy how artists can connect two things that are seemingly so far apart. Whenever I hear stuff like this I always kind of wonder if it's just random chance. I think in this case it definitely makes sense, but when someone starts telling me that just because the main character was wearing red means that the author is secretly homophobic I start to get a bit suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really liked your connection between Warhol's brown line and Christianity. It's crazy how artists can connect two things that are seemingly so far apart. Whenever I hear stuff like this I always kind of wonder if it's just random chance. I think in this case it definitely makes sense, but when someone starts telling me that just because the main character was wearing red means that the author is secretly homophobic I start to get a bit suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your analysis of the painting is really in depth and interesting. I could also see how the the progression from color to a faded black and white represent how image and vitality can grow old and fade into obscurity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really understood this kind of art, but your analysis is great and makes it easy to see the meaning behind the art

    ReplyDelete