Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Serial Impersonator Becomes a Psychological Experiment: The Story of Frédéric Bourdin

I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called The Imposter which told the true story of a 23 year old Spaniard posing as a missing 16 year old from Texas. Seems impossible to believe, right? How could a brown-haired, brown-eyed, Spanish-speaking man named Frédéric Bourdin convince a family that he was their blonde-haired, blue-eyed son, Nicholas Barclay?

The Imposter not only tells the incredible true story of the serial impersonator Frédéric Bourdin, but the documentary also explores the psychological effects of losing a family member. Although Bourdin did dye his hair blonde to appear more like Nicholas, the Barclay family was so ecstatic at the return of "Nicholas" that they did not dare to question his eye color change. The Barclay family desired a truth so profoundly that logic did not dare interfere with the return of a loved one.

The story of Nicholas Barclay proposed a daunting question: How often do I idealized people because that is the truth I want? Obviously I would never go as far as accidentally adopting an adult from Spain, but on a daily basis I glorify people with more-than-human qualities. The Imposter revealed an underlying human truth: in order to cope with pain and loss, humans tell themselves false stories that eventually become their reality.

7 comments:

  1. I really liked your analysis and it made me want to watch this documentary. You did a nice job of pointing out the underlying truths to a very unique story that most people wouldn't be able to relate to. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this documentary and I found it bizarre how the family didn't question the clear changes in the return of their "son." I liked how you made the connection that this is actually a relatable issue, because I would have never thought that I could have something in common with a story as strange as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analysis. The connection you made with how humans perceive the world the way they want to is really thought-provoking. You looked past the content of the documentary to an underlying universal theme that really makes me want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen this documentary before but it sounds very interesting. It's crazy that this family did not notice the major differences of their child but you're very right in the sense that humans tend to trick their minds to make their own happy endings. This would explain hallucinations in war or other mind problems that traumatized people may experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of or seen this movie before but I am now very intrigued and am interested in watching it. I like the point you make about how humans tell themselves false stories in order to cope with pain and loss. I think this ties in with Tim O'Brien's beliefs about a true war story. Many people may tell false war stories as a way to handle the trauma and suffering that comes with war. Great analysis!

    ReplyDelete