Sunday, April 5, 2015

Drake - "Company"

Company (listen) by Drake was featured on his latest mixtape release, If you're reading this it's too late. The central focus of this song is a struggle of being who Drake is, and relationship issues, primarily trouble with finding a woman who is right for him. It states what he wants from a woman he would have a relationship. He forgets his ego when he says "I don't deserve her at all", but the things he expects from a woman are very sexist, confining his women to traditional sex roles. "I need a girl who gon' love me, I need a girl who gon' trust me, someone to fuck me, Someone to make me feel lucky..." This is one of the main focuses of the song, and Drake really confines women to specific sex roles in his expectations. He implies that what all men need is a woman he will love him, trust him, and please him sexually, objectifying women as is typical of rap artists. "She on some 9AM already cookin' in the kitchen shit". Another highly stereotypical expectation of women, which further adds to Drake's apparent purpose of describing the sex roles of women and actually believing them. "I need you to take my mind off being in my prime". And finally Drake finishes his portion of the song by expressing his desire for a woman who will relax him because of all the stress that he has from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment